Wednesday, June 15, 2011

One Day Complete!

So, my first day is over (actually, I fell asleep before I could write this so it's now morning here).

Nothing too eventful - I left Heathrow on Lufthansa which was a very nice airline. We actually had a hot lunch on a hour long flight!

As I was flying over Munich and the outlying areas I noticed that a lot of houses had PV panels on the roof. Not everybody - but probably 10-15%. Much more than in the US.

Munich airport was very modern and easy to navigate.

I had a 45 minute S-Bahn commuter rail ride to the Haupbahnhof, or Central Station. I picked an exit at random and my hotel turned out to be right across the street!

The hotel room is small but nice. Free Wifi was unexpected but awesome. I have a small TV and promptly found that Star Trek was on in German.

After a bit of that (and waiting for the drizzle to end) I went out for dinner and to explore the area around the Hauptbahnhof. I didn't go far and ended up with a Donner. Came home, watched Star Trek, and fell asleep.

Today I'm going to try to make it to the Deutsches Museum. More on that and photos tonight.

3 comments:

sPh said...

Germany has I believe the highest percentage of buildings with solar installations in the world. Which is interesting when you consider that the average insolation rate in Germany is small compared to, e.g., your uncle's solar PV array in Denver.

Could you tell if those were PV systems or hot water?

Dad-O

Only Robert would travel 6500 kilometers to watch Star Trek on cable - in another language!

Lakeshore Librarian said...

Sounds like a good beginning. Looking forward to photos. Protest in Madison was fun, though the politics are not. I actually posted some photos on Facebook.

Aunt Amy

Unknown said...

Third