Friday, June 17, 2011

June 17th

Today was the first day of program. We started out at 8:00 eating breakfast, which was pretty good considering it was European (I subscribe to the large morning meal and small middle-day meal model). Then it was on to "class" for a few hours where we discussed the history of Holzkirchen, the program, and some points about living with guest families.

Next was a huge lunch. Fish, of course, as it's Friday here and the area is very Catholic (even if most Germans don't go to church regularly). After lunch I ran by the shopping mallwhich is a point of contention here. It opened last year and most people in Holzkirchen refuse to use it - it's a lot like Wal-Mart. I picked up a USB cable, but most of the group bought pre-paid cell phones. I think I might get one in Berlin- we'll see if I need it.

Following that was a scavenger hunt through Holzkirchen. It's not a large town but is decently spread out along the highway that leads to Munich. We ended up at the school where I'll have classes starting next month.

We had dinner at a German/Croatian restaurant which lasted quite late.

I just packed my small bag for the train ride to Berlin tomorrow. It's supposed to take most of the day, so tomorrow shouldn't be too interesting. I also might not have internet since we're in a Holiday Inn. I might have to save the blog entries and post them all at once when I get back.

Here's the storm last night from my window:


Heres a view of the mountains from my window:

3 comments:

pchealey said...

First

Lakeshore Librarian said...

Nice photos. Looking forward to hearing about Berlin, How many students are in the program? Are they all from KU?

Aunt Amy

sPh said...

Went to Hermann and rode the Katy Trail for about 22 miles today. Hot, but not unbearable. Then drove a bit south to Swiss, MO and the Swiss Meat Company for lunch. Lots of thuringer, bratwurst, and summer sausage - we thought about you!

Dad-O