Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Friday

Friday was Bonn day. Bonn is about a half hour south of Köln, so their rail systems are integrated and we were able to take the regional train right there. We met up with some of Werner’s high school students who led us through another museum. This one was a history museum that started in 1945 through the present day. It was very interesting and an excellent museum – but our German partners rushed us through a bit more than I would like. There was a lot about the political situation in Germany – a new exhibit for every election. I found that pretty cool but didn’t have enough time to read it.

After that museum we walked through Bonn and visited the Bonn University – where Professor Keel went to school (in the late 60’s or early 70’s). Professor Keel showed us around a bit and pointed out where some places he used to hang out which are now mostly upscale shops. We strolled through the old city, took a look at the old city hall, and then ate lunch at a German restaurant known for its Schnitzel, which I had with French fries.

Then we visited the Beethoven Birth House Museum. I’m not sure this was worth the entrance price, but it was pretty cool. It was a museum in a small house with some artifacts – including one of his “ear horns” and some music. There were instruments there too, but I would be surprised if he actually played them…

Next was a walk to the train station, but we stopped at a very nice church with awesome stained glass windows and a Kreuzgang – a cloister. I had to stand on the half hour train ride back because the train was packed, but that wasn’t too bad.

The program ended back at the Hotel but the group went out and had dinner at an Italian café on the Rhine. I’d have to rate that and the following walk along the Rhine as one of the most interesting and beautiful experiences of my life – Between the size of the river and the sunset, I was almost overwhelmed.

By the end of the walk I was very tired and ready to pass out back at the hotel. I stayed up long enough to manage some of my pictures but then promptly went to sleep.

2 comments:

sPh said...

You're pretty far behind on your days here!

Dad-O

julie.healey said...

Who knew you are such a romantic? It does seem that epiphany often involves bodies of water. We didn't really have a comparable moment in New York, but are feeling very wistful. Very I wish I lived in NYC right now.