Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wednesday

Regular day of schoolwork today, but an unusual afternoon. I'm not sure if it was on the news in the US, but Munich was a candidate city for the 2018 Winter Olympics. The decision was today, 5:00 PM local time. Munich planned a big party, brought in a stage to the Marienplatz, and hired a bunch of musicians.

I worked on my homework the day We rode the train in after school and waited around in the Marienplatz for an hour or so waiting for the program to actually get started. I spent a lot of time looking at the speakers - the stage had a really nice D&B rig that sounded excellent. There was also a bookstore with free wi-fi that I spent some time in.

Finally, it was time for the show to start. I watched a C-List rapper and a few German dance teams before the big news hit - South Korea won the bid. The crowd was really disappointed (Although it seemed like there were more tourists than actual Germans) and dispersed quickly.

I ate dinner at a nifty Italian restaurant - I got a card with a magnetic strip as I came in the door and then ordered my food from a window. They swiped the card, made the food, and I paid on the way out. Pretty cool.

Afterwards I did a bit of hanging out and then went home for bed.

6 comments:

Lakeshore Librarian said...

There's a place in Chicago's Water Tower Place shopping center that's set up like that, but they have lots of different food stations. It's possible to end up with a fairly big tab at the end, but it is efficient.

sPh said...

R-R,
Curious if anyone not part of the government or finance industry is actually discussing the situation with Greece, the euro, and potential EU financial crisis. Or if it is only seen as a crisis by talking heads and blogs?

Dad-O

sPh said...

Do you have finals this week? How are classes going?

Dad-O

Lakeshore Librarian said...

When are you coming home

sPh said...

I deem Robert the George R. R. Martin of bloggers: 10 years between updates! ;-)

Dad-O

Lakeshore Librarian said...

have to agree with you, Steve; I've worn out the 'refresh' link hoping for something new. ;)