Monday, July 4, 2011

Tuesday

OK, these updates will be getting shorter as we are now doing less stuff per day.

Today I woke up and had breakfast with my host family - cereal and yoghurt. I then rode my bike to school, which is about five minutes away. We met in a classroom, introduced the teachers ( I have the two KU professors), and then dove right into schoolwork.

I'm in a literature class and a German social studies course. We also all have a film class, but that starts tomorrow. Both of my classes were fun - we started reading medieval German poetry and working on learning about all the German states.

Lunch was in a high school cafeteria across the road. The food is actually pretty good - there's a big salad and fruit every day in addition to the main course option.

After lunch we had a sightseeing trip - we took the train about a half hour south to the Tegernsee, which is pretty much a resort/recreation area. We stopped at Gmund, one station short of Tegernsee and then hiked to the town of Tegernsee itself. I really enjoyed the hike - it was only about 6KM. There's a loop around the whole see that is like 15 miles - I would like to go back and do that if I have free time.

We got to the town of Tegernsee and toured the monastery there - while the church is from the 18th centruy, the monastery is from 746. They also had a really good brewery where we ate dinner.

After dinner I went with a friend who was determined to swim in the lake (actually, just to stick her head in). I hadn't brought a swim suit, so I went in up to my knees, which was still pretty fun.

Then it was a whirlwind walk back to the train station, a train ride home, and a bike ride to the house. My guest parents weren't here - they were at choir practice, so I got to sit here on my computer for a while before an early bed time.

2 comments:

sPh said...

Happy 4th of July!

Dad-O

Now, crack those books (or click those eBooks, as appropriate).

Lakeshore Librarian said...

But first, read my friend Nashira's blog about the 4th http://lechilach.blogspot.com/ and tell me what it looks like from Germany. And if that's an example of a day wherein you don't do much ...
Keep reading & writing. @SPH -- most ebook readers are touch screen trchnology