Friday, June 24, 2011

Monday

Due to last night’s adventure I was pretty tired in the morning, but that didn’t stop our programmed events. We first took the streetcar and bus to the Spree River, where we took a quick boat ride. The boat was filled up with German high schoolers who were being obnoxious, but the ride itself was fun. We saw a bunch of nice buildings – the Chancellor’s residence, the museum district, and a couple of concert halls (including the Pregnant Oyster, below).

After that was lunch at a German restaurant in the oldest region of Berlin – outside the Nikoli Church. This time I had a bratwurst, potatoes, and sauerkraut. Very German.

Next on the program after lunch was the Pugemont museum – another highlight of the trip. The Pugemont is an archeological museum, containing Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Sumearian ruins among other things. I was really impressed with the Roman ruins – their architectural approach was so similar to ours today. Architecture hasn’t changed much in two thousand years.

The group split up after the Pugemont and I went to the zoo to look at cute animals. Berlin has a really big zoo and we only had about an hour and a half there, but I did get to see polar bears, big cats, and chimps. And a Panda (I took a picture for Amanda).

I had a dönner for dinner and watched some street performers on their bikes while I ate.

After dinner everybody in my group was ready to pass out so we got back to the hotel and hung out a bit before going to bed.

6 comments:

roskate said...

I'm sure amanda will appreciate the panda picture

roskate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
julie.healey said...

First.
Cool. Our flight delayed , so happy to be reading your blog. Sounds like fun even though you are seeing depressing sites.

julie.healey said...

Hey, when I wrote first I really was, but had a distraction I had to deal with so that once posted I had been beaten out of the coveted first status. I like your photo, Faith!

sPh said...

The Brown Cow, or, Eating Dooners Through Europe.

Lakeshore Librarian said...

ok, I need more information. 1. explain what a donner is, please -- I get that it is some kind of street food. . . 2. where is Julie flying to?